This stylish addition to the real estate development scene on Bankers Hill cultivates a distinct dialogue with the neighborhood vibe. The central mission was to open up the 1952-era building, connecting it to its surroundings by softening the office aesthetic with a fluid floor plan that’s both contemporary and residential.
As such, layers of the 6,000-square-foot building—a former dental supply company—and its squatty two-story façade were carefully peeled away. Large picture windows frame the sidewalk activity on Fifth Avenue and adjacent Balboa Park. Mid-century bones and brick are preserved.
A flex-space blueprint was conceived for a new generation eschewing the cubicle. On any given day, 30-plus employees set-up shop in the social kitchen, lobby couches, a glass conference room, or quiet rooms, one of which includes a napping nook.
On the second floor, unobstructed views onto Sixth Avenue and the ebb and flow of activity in the park can be had from the bull pen and glass-clad executive offices. Sunlit picnics, soccer games or morning Tai Chi enliven the work space with San Diego’s trademark recreational lifestyle.
Overall, the architect and developer have proven that it is possible to respect and embrace the neighborhood’s history, while also building for the future.