Gateway San Diego, Airport Intermodal Transportation Center
While the concept of an intermodal transportation center adjacent to the airport has been floated before, this year’s jury felt it was very essential to remind the Port Authority of the critical need for such a project. One jury member put it simply “This is BIG THINKING that San Diego needs.
- Project Address: Lindbergh Field, San Diego International Airport
- Project Owner/ Developer: San Diego International Airport
- Owner Contact Name/ Email: James Frost, email@example.com
- Project Architect/ Designer: NewSchool of Architecture and Design, Design Clinic
The NewSchool of Architecture and Design, Design Clinic, created the Gateway San Diego project to illustrate how Lindbergh Field could be integrated with local and regional tansporation systems in a sustainable manner.
At the request of the Destination Lindbergh Committee and the S.D. Regional Airport Authority, the student team, led by James Frost, AIA-E, produced a long term development concept located on the north side of the airport.
- integrates all regional transportion at a single location;
- creates a major urban park over the parking garages;
- develops an iconic landmark as a gateway to San Diego;
- establishes a large economic generator through multi-use functions on and off site;
- and provides a sustainable transporation solution that reduces the transporation carbon footprint resulting from less auto trips.
The project was presented to the Destination Lindbergh Committee and the Airport Authority Board of Directors and was commended for its innovative approach and solution to a critical regional issue.