1906 Lodge Coronado
This Irving Gill and William Hebbard designed boarding house has been brought back to life as a 17 room boutique hotel. The jury was pleased to see this commitment to preservation, showing “how past and present can co‐exist.
- Project Address: 1060 Adella Ave, Coronado
- Project Owner/ Developer: Trant Manor, LLC
- Owner Contact Name/ Email: Sue Gillingham, Sue@1906Lodge.com
- Project Architect/ Designer: Jeff Dreyfus/Bushman Dreyfus Architects PLC
For years, what is believed to be one of the last collaborations of Irving Gill and William Hebbard sat boarded up and deteriorating in the heart of Coronado. In 2005, several couples banded together to buy the property and return it to its original use. In 1906 when it was built, this type of lodging was called a boarding house. Today it is a 17 room boutique hotel that includes breakfast and afternoon refreshments in the daily rate.
Prior to being “condemned” and boarded up by the City of Coronado, it had become, in the saddest chapter of its century-long history, a haven for undesirable transients and a frightening eyesore to the surrounding neighborhood. Over the years, both the interior and exterior had been ravaged. Rooms were reconfigured with plywood dividers, a bathroom was carved out of the corner of the parlor, and only one toilet was in working condition for the 21 occupants. Every vestige of the building’s original stately elegance seemed lost forever. “Tear-down” was the operative phrase.
In his Historical and Architectural Report, dated January 15, 2003, Dr. Ray Brandes concluded that the building represents “an exceptional contribution to the architectural history of Coronado, and the main building represents one of only a few examples of early remaining rooming houses.” Grey Court Inn, as the house was originally named, was built by the Roper family. In 1924 it was purchased by Frederick Winchester, a prominent Coronado businessman. The Winchesters renamed it the Bay View Lodge in 1936. In 1942, James Trant purchased the property and it remained in the Trant family as apartments until purchased by its current owners.
Although it was built as a boarding house for the working class, Gill and Hebbard chose to detail the parlor with a boxed beam coffered ceiling and wood wainscoting. The parlor’s most significant feature is the mission style brick fireplace, with its unique arched leaded glass window directly over the mantel. The owners took care to meticulously restore and recreate all of these features of the parlor as well as the front veranda, staircase, and coved ceiling on the second floor. All original windows were hand restored and several missing leaded glass windows were recreated in the parlor.
All non-original construction was removed including a fire escape, back porch, and a 2-storied addition of kitchens and bathrooms tacked on in the 1950s. Six guest rooms and an inviting dining room were created in the remaining space. A breakfast veranda, reflecting pool and courtyard garden replaced dilapidated garages and outbuildings. The entire property was excavated to provide underground guest parking and meeting rooms. Supporting an unreinforced concrete building proved to be a significant challenge for the restoration team. The seismic retrofit and a desire to provide an ADA accessible guest room on the second floor led to the decision to add an elevator. To create an economically viable hotel, more than six guest rooms were needed. A new building was added to the property with 11 guest suites featuring fireplaces, private porches, and spa tubs.
With guidance from Coronado’s Historic Resource Commission (the Lodge received Coronado historic designation in 2005) and due to the requirements for listing on the National Register of Historic Places (an application has been submitted), the new guest suite building is slightly different in size, materials and details while still complimenting and being subordinate in importance to the original structure. Should the application be approved, the building will be only the second building in Coronado to have the designation. Finally, it should be noted that each of the 17 guest rooms has been decorated to honor a person or place special to Coronado’s past. Guests can choose to stay in the Winchester Room with its stately sleigh bed and cozy window seat, the Country Club Suite with its tribute to early golfing in Coronado, or the premiere suite – North Island - which honors Coronado’s rich military history.
The owners’ vision was to create a unique venue where guests could relax in the simple beauty of Coronado’s past. Opened to overnight guests in May of 2009, the 1906 Lodge at Coronado Beach has been brought back from the grave to enjoy the next hundred years as one of Coronado’s most significant historic resources.
A recent article with more information about The 1906 Lodge can be found at: http://lifestylemags.com/stories/1906.html