Nominations are open! Your nomination must be received by the deadline of July 6, 2019 to be considered for the 2019 Orchids & Onions program.
Nominating Orchids & Onions: what you need to know.
- You may nominate as many projects as you wish.
- Orchids & Onions will now accept nominations for civic-based master plans currently in development. Projects currently under construction do not qualify for any award. Please nominate under the “Miscellaneous” category.
- Collect as much information as possible about the project you are nominating. We need the facts before your submission can be published.
- Nominations cannot be posted without accompanying photos, so take your camera for a walk and capture a few photos that illustrate the reason(s) for your nomination. We do not accept renderings or sketches of built & completed projects.
- Please be patient, once your nomination is submitted, we will fact-check before posting.
- Please keep your nominations and your comments respectful; mind yourself!
- We are looking for honest critiques about why nominations should be considered for O&O awards. An off-hand one liner about why you think a project is ugly or beautiful simply won’t cut it. Please provide valid arguments for your nominations. We will follow up with nominators if we think more information is required for a nomination. All excerpts will be limited to 200 words.
You may submit projects in the following categories:
- Historic Preservation
- Interior Design
- Landscape Architecture
- Miscellaneous (including public art, architectural lighting, architectural graphics and anything else that doesn’t fall directly into one of the above-listed categories)
Submission of digital photos with the nomination is required. Please do not submit copyrighted materials.
To be eligible, a project:
- Must be located in San Diego County
- Must not be a single-family residence. Multi-family projects (4+ units minimum) are accepted.
- Must be completed, and been so within the last 3 years
- May be a rehabilitated building or structure
After submission, nominations with photos will be reviewed by the committee (please allow at least 72 hours) for accuracy and will be posted on the website for all site visitors to view and comment on. The nominator remains anonymous. Check back in regularly to see what projects are most talked about! The most buzzed about projects via comments and social media will move to the People’s Choice voting period in September. So comment on and share your favorite nominations!